Today, or I guess technically last night, I said goodbye to my very best friend. There is not much I can think to say. Or maybe it’s that I have so many thoughts I can’t pick one. I loved him so much. But you all probably already knew that, because I know he was loved by more than just me. I will miss him but I will never forget him. I have already begun to read all the letters people have written about Erik. Yesterday I thought of things I never want to forget about him. Here’s just a few – maybe you’ll be able to nod in agreement to some.
- His “to do” lists
- His special homemade vanilla “milkshakes” – these involved stirring vanilla ice cream into a cup of milk
- His complaints about his balding head, big nose or what he thought was an overweight physique
- There wasn’t a number he couldn’t remember.
- He was always extra organized and over prepared for things – he always wanted everything to be perfect.
- He had such a knack for people – he always made sure the other person talked more than him in a conversation, always asking questions and learning more about them.
- “Go big or go home”
- His knowledge of cars – not only could he tell you in one look the year of a particular car, he could also tell you what options were offered for the models, about how much they were worth, what kind of quality they should be in…his mind was basically NADA. He could also spot any car he had previously sold. We’d be driving somewhere and he’d say, “Hey there’s the truck I sold to that guy last year” I’d say, “Are you sure, how can you tell?” “I know he lives in Orem and I remember the wheels it had on it and that it had that after market bumper” (or any other physical feature).
- He loved education – he always wanted to get his masters and doctorate someday
I could go on and on. Everyone might have other things, but those are some of the ones that first came to my mind. Bottom line is – he was wonderful. I guess that’s why he didn’t need all the extra time like most of us do down here. I know I already said this but, I’m really going to miss him.